When I am in the supermarket I am always drawn to the prepared foods. Meals that are put together and you throw them in your oven and dinner is done. One of my go to meals at my local Wegmans market is Steak Pizzaiola. Thin cuts of beef that is filled with spinach, carrots and cheese. A bit of browning and then cooked with jar of good marinara sauce.
The past few times I went to the store, this go to of mine was not in the prepared case. I asked one the employees, and he told me it’s a pretty simple recipe to make and it did not require that many more steps then buying it premade.
I accepted the challange to make it myself and it was barely a challange, and saved me a little money too.
The meat section of the supermarket had thin sliced top round steak. My package had 4 slices totalling a little more than a pound. On each piece add a slice of provolone, some fresh spinach and shredded carrots. Roll up each piece firmly.
Once you have all the pieces rolled, coat each roll in pan searing flour, salt and pepper. I buy the pan searing flour from my supermarket. If you can’t find it..it’s essentially flour that has been sifted or run through a food processor to get extra fine, so there is no clumping.
Brown all the rolls in a pan (I use a cast iron dutch oven) until browned on all sides. Cover the meat with 3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce. I make my own healthy version found here.
Pop your pan (covered) in a 325 oven for about 3-40 minutes until the meat is 165 degrees.
- 1 lb. top round beef (pounded thin, 4 cutlets)
- 2 cups uncooked baby spinach
- 3/4 cup of shredded carrots
- 4 ounces provolone cheese (sliced)
- pan searing flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tlb. olive oil
- 3 cups good marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 325
- Divide the cheese, spinach and carrots among the 4 beef cutlets. Layer cheese first,
- spinach followed by carrots. Roll the beef cutlets tightly, tucking in ingredients if they start to fall out of the sides.
- Season beef bundles with salt and pepper. Dust with pan-searing flour; pat off excess. Heat oil in pan on MED-HIGH until oil faintly smokes. Add beef (seam side down); cook, turning to brown all sides, about 5 min. Add the marinara sauce, cover and put in 325 oven for 35-40 minutes until the beef is tender.